“Revenge is sweet” according to a popular expression.
However, Confucius warned, “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”
While the idea of revenge may feel satisfying, there is no doubt that it takes a toll on both parties.
There is nothing that gets strong emotions going like a legal fight. Divorce, custody fights, business break ups, property disputes- these are all the stuff of which revenge fantasies are made.
However, it is undisputable that taking out anger on the other party can have undesirable results, such as:
- Bystanders caught in the cross-fire (children, employees, friends).
- High blood pressure and other physical problems.
- Negative impact on the legal case by letting emotions rule the day.
- Decrease of income, lost business opportunities, and a disorganized personal/family life, because of lack of attention to the task at hand.
- Affect on other personal relationships because the angry person has a “one track mind”.