This is already a difficult time for everyone. If you were having marital issues before this pandemic, the extra stress has probably not made things better.
If you are thinking of divorce, you are in an especially difficult place.
But, there are some things that you can do now, even if you need to stay-at-home with your spouse.
- Stay safe- Safety is always first. So, if confrontation or discussion with your spouse may erupt in violence or abuse, do not do it.
- Seek legal advice. You can get legal advice now. You do not need to wait until Covid-19 is gone. You can do so in confidence.
- Here is how to get an appointment, in confidence. Contact our office, and explain your situation. When the time arrives, we will call you from a number that shows up as “private”.
- We will set aside that time specifically for you, so if you are a “no show” (you aren’t able to answer your phone at your appointed time), please contact us as soon as you are able to explain the circumstances and reschedule.
- If you decide to hire us, ask us to mark your file with your preferred method of communication and explain your circumstances.
- You can benefit from getting information in advance. If you know your options, it can be a tremendous help in getting you through this difficult time. If you are able to make a plan and start gathering information while you have a bit of extra time at home, it can save time later.
- You may be able to start the divorce process now. Depending on your situation, the divorce may actually be filed now. Or, the paperwork can be prepared, held, and filed as soon as it is the right time to do so.
- We are offering a free consultation through May, 2020. So, there is no need to worry about having to put a consult fee on your debit or credit card.
- We offer videoconferencing as well as phone conferences. We will continue to offer these options even in “normal times”. We will offer in person meetings when the circumstances allow.
- We understand that this is a difficult time financially. We strive to keep our fees affordable, and to work out arrangements on a case-by-case basis.
Talking about your concerns can help you feel better and more in control of your life.
Our family law attorney, Siomara Ramirez Pitre, is fluent in English and Spanish.