Teamwork is essential, and there is no better time for cooperative teamwork than when you are facing legal challenges.
Here are some specific things that you can do to help your case progress more efficiently.
- Stay available to the law firm. If you are going to be away for vacation, having a medical procedure or otherwise unavailable, let the firm know.
- Check your email and voicemail regularly while you are involved in a legal matter.
- Review and return documents promptly.
- Keep the firm updated with any changes of contact information.
- Share knowledge that you have that may help. For instance, an organized timeline of dates or a list of important people in your case with a description of their role in the case can be helpful to your lawyer.
- Be prompt in responding to any deadlines.
- Prepare in advance for any meetings with your attorney by bringing a list of questions you have or a list of new events.
- Be honest with your lawyer about the facts in the case, and about your feelings while going through the process.
- Don’t be afraid to explore new alternatives. Many lawsuits settle when one of the parties comes up with a creative solution that both sides can live with.
- Remember that you and your attorney are a team. Team members not only support each other, they also help each other face reality. Don’t be afraid to play devil’s advocate, or to question something that you aren’t comfortable with. And don’t be offended if your attorney does the same. As long as it is done with respect, it is all part of the process.