Yes, adult adoptions really are a thing! Let’s talk about the reasons why someone would want to adopt an adult. In addition, there are a few situations when an adult adoption is not appropriate.
Most Common Reasons to Adopt an Adult
- It is a step parent adoption. Commonly, a step parent adopts their adult stepchild. This is usually something that has been desired for a long time, typically, for years. Often, the parties have not done so sooner because it would have created a problem. For instance, a living biological parent would have had hurt feelings or attempted to create problems for the family. Therefore, some families choose to file an adoption on, or just after the child’s 18th birthday.
- The people involved in the adoption truly have a parent-child relationship, and want to be parent and child legally. In these cases we are often told “he helped raise me and has always been there for me”, or, “she is my second mother.” The parent is often described as “the only parent I really have.” The parent will say, “This my true daughter or son”.
Sometimes Adoption is a Bad Idea
- Trying to get an immigration or citizenship benefit. In the United States, and in many other countries, adopting an adult does not grant any benefits to the parent or child regarding immigration, residency or citizenship.
- To get legal control over someone’s assets. If this it is purely a “business transaction”, something is probably wrong. There are other ways to accomplish financial goals and help someone out. A court-ordered guardianship, is available in the appropriate situation.
- For any fraudulent reason.
Some of Our Happiest Times!
In nearly forty years of legal practice in Texas Adoptions, our attorneys have some of our best memories with our adult adoptions. Typically, the final hearing is a joyous event. Loving family members have waited years for this to happen and we are honored to be a part of their family history.
Need a consult? Check out our home page and scroll down to see our monthly new client special. You may be eligible for a free consultation or a discount!